10-WEEK COURSE SYLLABUS
WEEK 1: Introduction to the Studio
- Learn about the basics of sound including the human ear and speakers
- Understand the importance of acoustics
- Discover how studios are designed
WEEK 2: Microphones
- Learn the history industry standard microphones (Dynamics, Condensers, Tube Mics)
- Understand polar patterns and mic placement
- Experience a hands-on micing of a live drum kit
WEEK 3: The Gear
- Learn the in and outs of the SSL Console
- Understand the mechanisms of Preamps, EQ’s, Compressors.
- Get to know analog tape and signal flow
WEEK 4: ProTools - The Basics
- Learn about Computer Hardware and its components
- Become familiar with Pro Tools HD Hardware and Converters
- Understand Pro Tools HD Software; I/O's, Peripherals and more.
WEEK 5: Pro Tools - In Use
- Learn how to run a Pro Tools recording session
- Understand the importance of file organization
- Learn how to get signal into a session
WEEK 6: Tracking Session - The Class
- Begin to learn about pre-production and session prep
- Understand how to set up for a live session
- Run an actual a small session in Studio A
WEEK 7: Tracking Session - Practical
- Prepare for a band to arrive at 10:00am for their session
- Setup drums, mics and amps for the live band
- Record an entire fully tracked/produced song
WEEK 8: Mixing Session - The Class
- Learn how to edit a session
- Understand hybrid workflow (analog/digital)
- Become familiar with EQ, compression, and summing
- Blend and complete a mix
WEEK 9: Mixing Session - Practical
- Prepare for the mixing session at 12noon
- Apply the mixing techniques from Week 8
- Do a mix of the Week 7's live tracking session.
WEEK 10: The Final
- Day starts at noon
- Applying techniques from week 8
- do a mix of the week 7 live tracking session.
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?
We may have already answered them on our "Frequently Asked Questions" page. If not, you can fill out our "Free Consultation" form or give us a call at 727.449.8888 and we'd be happy to help you!